RedHat Network Alert Icon

OK, At some point in my system's history, this icon in my system tray stopped working correctly. It remains broken. I think it used to work correctly for RH7.2. I'm pretty sure it broke either with my update to RH7.3 or RH9.... After upgrading to FC2, it is still broken.

Symptom: It remains green and showing the 2 arrows. It never changes. I no longer see the checkmark, question mark, or the exclamation point.

The RPM that is installed is:

rhn-applet-2.1.7-1.1.i386.rpm

Problem: Clicking on the icon is supposed to run the command: rhn-applet-gui. When I click on the icon, nothing (apparent) happens.

running the command rhn-applet-tui tells me (right now):

[root@kjc386 src]# rhn-applet-tui
Ignoring
No package updates are needed.

running the command rhn-applet-gui from a command line yields:

[root@kjc386 src]# rhn-applet-gui
/usr/share/rhn/rhn_applet/rhn_applet.py:362: DeprecationWarning: integer argument expected, got float
  self.animate_timeout_tag = gtk.timeout_add(math.floor(1000 * ANIMATION_TOTAL_TIME/len(frames)), self.animate_handler)

and hangs there. It never finishes. I have to type control-C to get a prompt back.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Or what else you might need to provide a reasonable diagnosis? Or (even better) how to fix it??????

My FC2 is an upgrade from RH9..... I'm pretty sure that whatever broke it when I upgraded to RH9 is still broken, I just don't know what it could be.

I also have the Red Hat Network applet installed in my system try. It runs up2date. It works just fine....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx