Re: Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

On Monday 03 May 2004 11:58, Richard Crawford wrote:
>Piggybacking (Sorry):
>
>Edward Croft said:
>> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:00, Steve Searle wrote:
>>> Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown
>>>
>>> scrawled:
>>>
>>> oldest computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have
>>> the mentality of the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust
>>> anyone over 30 =] ... it's hard for me to believe that someone
>>> over 30 uses linux personally, once you're over 30 you have to
>>> start thinking more like a manager =]... then again, i'm almost
>>> over that line, but i don't feel like i'm that close =]
>
>I'm 36 myself,

whippersnapper :)

>and I've been using Linux for about three years now.
> I didn't start using computers at all, really, until about ten
> years ago, when I discovered the Internet while working in a temp
> clerical job (now I'm a Solaris/Oracle wrangler -- how the mighty
> have fallen).  I've met Linux users of all ages, but the oldest
> competent Linux user I've met to date was a fellow named Dick, whom
> I met at a Robert Burns memorial supper in Campbell, CA.  He was
> about 65 years old, and was a cement contractor. Linux was
> something he picked up a few years ago.  His preferred distro was
> Mandrake, and we talked for a couple of hours about Linux, open
> source, etc.  He was a hobbyist, certainly not a professional, but
> he seemed to know more than many of the young guns I've met who are
> convinced that they're God's gift to computing.  ;-)

In my case, I've had the pleasure of knowing what was once a teenager
with promise, and who has grown in 20 years, into the IT manager at
www.wdtv.com.  I've often made the statement that between us, we make
a decent programmer, and we actually sold some amiga software back
then.  That 'young gun' has surprised me with his vision of howto do
things on more than one occasion, thinking up ways to do things that
my older viewpoint seems to miss.  Of course, he's no longer a
'young' gun, pushing 40 & pretty grey-haired now, like me 10 years
ago.  Now mine is fairly white.

I think the word I'm looking for is synergism.  We've often had some
heat to our discussions, but we've never ceased to be friends, not
for a millisecond.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)