Re: Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:00, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 03:44pm on Monday, May 03, 2004 (UK time), duncan brown scrawled:
>
> > and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the oldest
> > computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the mentality of
> > the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone over 30 =] ... it's
> > hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses linux personally, once
> > you're over 30 you have to start thinking more like a manager =]... then
> > again, i'm almost over that line, but i don't feel like i'm that close =]

In the immortal words of Jar Jar Binks, HOW WOOOOOD!
I am 45 going on 6, and I started on a Kaypro II with CP/M, became a
guro on VAX in the 80s and became a RHCE in 99. I have
installed/played/administered with many flavors of Linux, Unix, all
versions of Windows, VMS, CP/M, and a few other oddballs like DG/UX and
AOS. I have resisted becoming a manager, because I prefer the technical
over administrative. As far as not trusting anyone over 30, I always
looked to the wisdom of my Grandfathers. They have been there. They have
done that. Even the hippies looked to some of the older/wiser people for
guidance.
The point is that there are a lot of us "Old Farts" who have worked on
various systems and grew and adapted as technology changed. Indeed, some
have gone on to become managers. Hey, there's more money there. But in
the end, we are older, but wiser. I could turn this around and make a
blanket statement about young studs coming out of school or getting
their A++ and thinking that they are my technical equals because they
passed a test. I worked with one young man who was a mechanic and had
been hired to do installs. As part of his training, he got his A++. He
used to wave that in my face and say that he should have my job because
I didn't. He knew PCs. He knew Windows, but I was managing Unix, VMS,
and DG/AOS, plus installing various odd ball systems as needed. Soooo, I
let him do my job for a day. He was so overwhelmed that he was in my
office in two hours. I then showed him my resume and told him that it
trumps his A++. The upside to this was that I took him under my wing and
taught him about these other systems. He took that knowledge and was
able to move on.
You will encounter many types of people, old Farts, stuck in their ways,
thinking that RSTS is the next great thing. You will also meet some old
Farts, that know their way around many operating sytems. Just as you
will meet young bucks who think they know everything and should be the
CTO or CIO just because they got a certification or finished college.
Then there are the young bucks, who look to learn everything and
anything no matter who they learn it from.
Oh, and not only do I use Linux personally, but so does my wife and
kids. The only reason Windows is kept around at all is to play those few
games we can't play on the Playstation or on Linux.

--
Edward M. Croft
Sr. Systems Engineer