Re: Taming the mailing lists?

It would appear that on May 1, - Edwin - did say:

> On 2004/05/01, at 1:18, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I don't know what filtering you use, but if it's
> > actually much easier to tell it to search the Subject: header for
> > "[FC]"
> > than to search for a Reply-To: header with "fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx" in
> > it, then I suggest you shop for a better mail filter.

> Huh? Better mail filter? Even crappy mail client can scan a Reply-To:
> header.

Which was my point. The part I was speaking of was where you said it
would be easier for them to set up the filtering...

=> on Apr 30, - Edwin - did say:
=> > if they decided to use filtering then it'd be easier for them
=> > to set it up. (i.e. move all messages with [FC] on subject
=> > line to folder "foobar", etc.)

Now if you think seeing the [FC] in the Subject: will make it easier for
them to think of the concept of filtering because they can see something
to filter on before they even know there is such a thing as an Reply-To:
header... Well I'd concede that's possible. But if we include the
How-To links in the welcome and subscription reminder messages etc...
the lists volume should give them the idea. And being pointed at the
HOW-To might teach them to start looking things up...(well I can dream
can't I)<grin>

> > It's really not the lists fault if new arrivals don't yet know how to
> > filter messages. Besides which, if we add "[FC]" to the Subject: header
> > to make such manual/visual scanning slightly easier,

> Aha! you just said the magic phrase -- "slightly easier"... *that* was
> the main point.

Where as automatic filtering is (_once_set_up_) *MUCH* easier. Some of
us would find the [MC] in the subject to be a pain. I use filtering to
group all the "FC" messages to the same folder, Then I visually Bscan the
displayed portion of the subject to determine if the thread/subject is
worth reading... If you "prepend" the subject with it (like is usually done
with the "Re:" for replies). it would leave less visible subject for me to
use to visually scan for "interesting" reading. And it would, (if a different
subject from the preceding message in the threaded view) not have the
advantage Re: has of being the same as the preceeding... And if a reply
with a refocused subject is deep enough in the thread, then anything arbitrarily
inserted before the senders subject makes visual scan for interesting difficult:

-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size) Original long description of prob
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size) |-Re:Original long description of
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)   |-Re:Original long description
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)     |-Re:Original long descriptio
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)     |-Newbie hijacked thread inter
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)       |-Re:Newbie hijacked thread
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)     |-reply "New subject" Not inte
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)       |-RE:reply "New subject" Not
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)         |-interesting "modified su

On the other hand I'd have no objection to [FC] being appended to the
END of the subject: