Re: Taming the mailing lists?

(Not that this is all about "Taming the mailing lists" but...)

On 2004/05/01, at 1:18, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

[...]

Your Right Edwin, Rodolfo replied to the quotes of what Tom said in my
reply... Doesn't bother me though, I agree with most of what he said.

Okay...

Speaking of which, I don't know what filtering you use, but if it's
actually much easier to tell it to search the Subject: header for "[FC]"
than to search for a Reply-To: header with "fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx" in
it, then I suggest you shop for a better mail filter.

Huh? Better mail filter? Even crappy mail client can scan a Reply-To: header.

It's really not the lists fault if new arrivals don't yet know how to
filter messages. Besides which, if we add "[FC]" to the Subject: header
to make such manual/visual scanning slightly easier,

Aha! you just said the magic phrase -- "slightly easier"... *that* was the main point.

 we only prolong the
time that they will deny themselves the benefits of filtering, because
they 'think' it's harder to set up than to keep doing it manualy....

And why do you think that they'll think *that* way? C'mon, by the time they figure out they can do something like that, they'll probably figure out how to do it in different ways. The idea is, if they were given a "visual hint" (e.g. something like [FC] on the subject line), then they would probably start thinking of "filtering" their messages...

What would be useful would be some how-to links in the welcome message.
(And possibly listed in a "useful-links" link added to the list management
data appendage in case they didn't know they wanted to save the welcome
message.)

Okay, now we're back on topic ;) Yeah, I'm sure something like that is needed. (Or, perhaps something like that sent once a week, etc.)

It would be good if the how-to links not only included beginner tutorials
for server based filters. But some suggested settings for {transitionally?}
using the filtering built into some "popular" mail clients including
<gag> outlook {for those stuck with a windows machine until they get
fedora working <wink>.}

:)

That is, Make it easy for the beginner to implement some form of
filtering rather than making it easier to avoid.

Well, that depends on how a person thinks...

Well that's my "2 cents"*10^"nth degree" worth anyway...

My two centavos here ;)

- E -