Re: NIC Selection

Timothy J. Miller wrote:

The machine use to be on two networks and was reconfigured.  Don't know
why it was reconfigured with two cards on the same network but when I
realized that it was configured this way I figured there maybe a reason.
Not sure what, but need to ask before I took the interface down.

Thanks

In my experience and has been mentioned before, 2 nics on the same *subnet* are often a problem. The system has a problem deciding which is the actual gate to that subnet and usually causes a lot of hangs and slowdown in network communication (if it works at all).

I do not ever recommend that config.

However, I have not seen multiple NICs on the same physical network cause a problem as long as the IPs do not cause a subnet conflict.

The routing table.

Question:  Why are you using two nics on the same network?  You can
generate some very odd network problems doing that.  Routing loops can get
created that will send packets around and around your network until they
expire from ttl.