Re: non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

I did consider trying wine or win4lin a while back (VMWare was TOO
costly to consider) But I decided that I would want to disable all
internet access while it was running any windows software (a simple
matter of trust) So I might as well just leave windows as an lilo menu
item.

I don't know how Win4lin accesses the network, but if it uses a so-called tun/tap interface then Linux sees it as just another network card and all the traffic goes through Linux's routing routines, so you could configure your packet filter to deny the virtual machine network access altogether, or for example allow it to access a web server on your own box but not let anything out on the Internet. Or you could let the virtual machine access the Internet (with the host machine as a firewall) and treat it as just as untrusted as anything on the Internet. (It's quite possible to let packets pass through if they're addressed to someone else but block them if they're addressed to you.)

Björn Persson