Re: non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> I'm looking for something else. Not for regular use, but so that when I
> send a request to some webmaster to make his/her page more compatible
> with my software, I want to be able to show that I tried more than one
> kind of browser before I decided it was the website, rather than my
> chosen software that's at fault. But I simply won't boot windows to test
> it with IE (Generaly I disable the cable modem before I boot windows
> one any of the rare occasions that I even go there any more.)
>
> Are there any functional browsers for fc1 that don't use mozilla's
> rendering engine? (preferably one that can render pages written for IE)

As people have pointed out, Konqueror is most definitely not based on Gecko.
It uses their own KHTML engine (which is also used in Apple's Safari
browser). Opera is the other obvious alternative.

For emergencies (and essential if you are designing web pages) it is useful
to have IE running inside some sort of virtual machine or inside Wine.
VMWare is good but expensive, so you could try Bochs
(bochs.sourceforge.net). As you have a valid Windows licence for your
machine, you can install it inside Bochs quite legally. It's slow, but OK
for running IE.

Internet Explorer is a terrible browser. It is way behind all the others
mentioned above in terms of CSS support. But sadly, my website stats show
that 80-90% of people use it, so it'd be crazy not to make pages
compatible. On the other hand, it's crazy for companies to exclude 10-20%
of their customers by making non standards-compliant pages that require IE.

Jonathan