Re: non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

It would appear that on Apr 28, Jonathan Rawle did say:

> As people have pointed out, Konqueror is most definitely not based on Gecko.
> It uses their own KHTML engine (which is also used in Apple's Safari
> browser). Opera is the other obvious alternative.
>
> For emergencies (and essential if you are designing web pages) it is useful
> to have IE running inside some sort of virtual machine or inside Wine.
> VMWare is good but expensive, so you could try Bochs
> (bochs.sourceforge.net). As you have a valid Windows licence for your
> machine, you can install it inside Bochs quite legally. It's slow, but OK
> for running IE.
>
> Internet Explorer is a terrible browser. It is way behind all the others
> mentioned above in terms of CSS support. But sadly, my website stats show
> that 80-90% of people use it, so it'd be crazy not to make pages
> compatible. On the other hand, it's crazy for companies to exclude 10-20%
> of their customers by making non standards-compliant pages that require IE.
>
> Jonathan

It is essential I presume to test commercial pages with IE. But If I
were in that boat, I'd spend the money for a low end windows test machine
that has ZERO access to anything on my actual PC.

I did consider trying wine or win4lin a while back (VMWare was TOO
costly to consider) But I decided that I would want to disable all
internet access while it was running any windows software (a simple
matter of trust) So I might as well just leave windows as an lilo menu
item.

I agree that for commercial web page development it would be crazy to
make the page inaccessible to IE. AND just as crazy to force IE's use.

I'm curious how your web page determines that. I'm told that some linux
users configure their browsers to identify as IE to avoid being kicked
out by poorly conceived compatibility filters. Is it possible that some
of the 80-90% are actually using something other that what their browser
identifies itself to your web pages as???

--
|   ---   ___
|   <0>   <->	   Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|	^		J(tWdy)P
|    ~\___/~	     <<jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx>>

When I ran windows, it would, from time to time send me to the windows
update page. Where the software would display the Microsoft certificate
from the update page and advise me that I should only run the update if
I trusted [certificate holder] This inevitably lead to my mumbling that
since I didn't trust Microsoft... <alt>+<F4>!