Re: Is this better? - was Hugh's long .sig

On or about 2004-04-27 14:41, Chris Jones whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Chris Kloiber wrote:

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:06, Douglas Furlong wrote:

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:08, Hugh Foster wrote:

In order to fit this list better, I have moved my subscription from my
servisair.com address to this, my home account, the software for which
can format mail dependent on where it's going. It will cost me, as I
have to dialup for this rather than use the LAN, but if it keeps the
peace, it's worth it.

My apologies for the disruption.

I think your sig here is okay, but do you really want to sign off with an apology for disruption? ;)

I think the main problem is not so much you, just the general attitude
towards Sig's. It's fair (I think) to get upset when reading a list and
having HUGE sigs put on every thing.

Companies should really try to shorten them, and also have it so that if
posting to a world readable list, then at worst have a sig that just
says this person does not represent the company in their opinion. As
apposed to every thing else.

I am currently resisting implementing signatures at my company until
they come up with one that is not 500 lines long.

Doug

Let them come up with all the legaleese they want- on a web page linked
from a 1-2 line company sig, leaving the other 2-3 lines for the
employee. That way everybody is happy.

My understanding is that any sig with more than 4 lines in it breaches netiquette. Therefore my sig is 4 lines (or less).

Also, as I was (forceably) reminded on a windoze MTA mailing list some years ago, one should always place the characters "-- " on a line by itself before the sig block - just so that mailing list software that works properly can strip the entire sig block from incoming mail before sending it out.

Just my £0.02p worth....

And if you look at the message source, you will see that your .VCF attachment adds 18 additional lines (granted, some are pretty short). Are we worried about total bytes sent over the net or total lines displayed on the screen? Or both? Well, I think the answer is we used to be worried about both, when a 10 MB hard drive was the size of a small refrigerator and cost almost as much as a new car; and news/mail propagated from place to place mostly over dial-up phone lines at far less than 56 kbps.

And I'm *not* saying you shouldn't attach a .VCF. They are a good compromise between giving a lot of details some may want to see, while taking almost no screen space for those who don't choose to expand them. The extra text in the message source is, of course, not really an issue in modern times.

--
Fritz Whittington
It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that. (G. H. Hardy)