Re: Is this better? - was Hugh's long .sig

Chris Kloiber wrote:

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:06, Douglas Furlong wrote:

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:08, Hugh Foster wrote:

In order to fit this list better, I have moved my subscription from my
servisair.com address to this, my home account, the software for which
can format mail dependent on where it's going. It will cost me, as I
have to dialup for this rather than use the LAN, but if it keeps the
peace, it's worth it.

My apologies for the disruption.

I think your sig here is okay, but do you really want to sign off with an apology for disruption? ;)

I think the main problem is not so much you, just the general attitude
towards Sig's. It's fair (I think) to get upset when reading a list and
having HUGE sigs put on every thing.

Companies should really try to shorten them, and also have it so that if
posting to a world readable list, then at worst have a sig that just
says this person does not represent the company in their opinion. As
apposed to every thing else.

I am currently resisting implementing signatures at my company until
they come up with one that is not 500 lines long.

Doug

Let them come up with all the legaleese they want- on a web page linked from a 1-2 line company sig, leaving the other 2-3 lines for the employee. That way everybody is happy.

My understanding is that any sig with more than 4 lines in it breaches netiquette. Therefore my sig is 4 lines (or less).

Also, as I was (forceably) reminded on a windoze MTA mailing list some years ago, one should always place the characters "-- " on a line by itself before the sig block - just so that mailing list software that works properly can strip the entire sig block from incoming mail before sending it out.

Just my £0.02p worth....

--
Chris Jones
mailto:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

begin:vcard
fn:Chris Jones
n:Jones;Chris
adr:Great Boughton;;12 Tudor Way;CHESTER;;CH3 5XQ;United Kingdom
email;internet:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:+44 1244 574677
tel;home:+44 1244 401350
tel;cell:+44 7980 292024