Re: Problem with monitor/keyboard/mouse switch

---- Original Message -----
From: "jludwig" <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with monitor/keyboard/mouse switch

> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 04:55, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 21:30, Peter Bürger wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've a problem with my monitor/keyboard/mouse switch. I don't know
> > > how it's called in english.
> >
> > Sorry for the late response, just FYI it called a KVM switch box
> > (Keyboard, Video, Mouse)
> > I have about 40 of them various models. They all drop the mouse in
> > windows linux and os2.
> > Some of mine are digital and some are manual. By digital I mean the ones
> > that have a power supply and you can switch computers using the
> > keyboard.
> >
> > Cheers Chad
> As far as keyboard dropping, I don't know about this, but certain
> systems (hardware) I have seen, and had, lose PS2 and bus mice just by
> unplugging the mouse.
> Reinitializing the mouse restored it though.
> >From what I understand though the switch should preclude this problem.
> --
> jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>From what I understand there are 2 types of KVM switches, a "Pass-through"
and a "Store and Forward" type.  I've tried the Pass-through and they don't
work in my situation either, drops the mouse & keyboard (USB) on my notebook
& Linux firewall (Smoothwall).  I talked with the manufacturerof the one I
tried and they suggested I try a more expensive "store and forward" type,
which most product sheets do not list.

I am now waiting for another manufacturer to get back to me before I try
purchacing another KVM.
Dave