Re: Motherboard Change- will Fedora survive?

jludwig wrote:
On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 10:10, Jonathan Rawle wrote:

Gary Waters wrote:

Yes, this is a newbie question...sorry ;-)

I presently have an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an SIS-735 chipset. I'm
running an AMD XP2000+ CPU. I am considering upgrading to the ECS KT-600
Motherboard with a VIA KT600 Chipset:

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/af1lite.html

The Board does have SATA ports, which I will not be using. I will more
than likely upgrade to an XP2600+ or higher CPU.
settings for
My question is simple: will Fedora survive the transition and/or what
should I expect in terms of results?

I replaced my motherboard a while back, and the only problem was caused by moving the hard disk to a different controller (hde to hda). As far as I could see, there were no references to hde anywhere, yet the filesystem check at boot was still looking for hde and thought there was a serious disk error - it dropped to a root shell and refused to go further. In the end, I had to comment out the relevant lines in rc.sysinit. After booting, I put the lines back, and from then onwards it worked perfectly.

I reported this in one of the newsgroups at the time, but no-one could
figure out why this problem occurred.

Once that problem was solved, all other hardware was detected perfectly,
including graphics, sound, USB hubs, etc. So unless you are moving the hd,
it should be fine.

Jonathan

Where I worked I had a 20GB drive I used to install in systems with RH9.0 to diagnose system problems, from PI, Pent Pros., Duron, Athlon, and on without any issues except 3D video cards. Go at it!

I have one of those in a schizo case (IDE, USB and Firewire). Very useful. Again, make sure the kernel is built for the lowest common denominator--in this case, either the BOOT kernel or a uniprocessor i386 kernel. An Athlon-optimized kernel will not run on anything but an Athlon, 686 kernels will blow up on a 386, you get the idea.
-- jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -