Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to have one of my machines be a local timeserver, pinging off our
campus time server, and then within my network, I'd like my interoffices
machines to ping off the local machine that will be a timeserver. I used
redhat-config-services to start "time", and then it sucessfully restarted.

The problem: when I type "rdate -p MACHINE", it shows the correct time and
date from "MACHINE". But, when I do "ntpdate", I get:

"ntpdate [process-id]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting"

and, of course, it doesn't sync up. And, it also means that my time server
isn't being recognized by the time sync program on Redhat, when you
right-click on the clock, choose "adjust date and time", and then
choose the server. I manually added my interoffice machine, but
again, it just won't work. In /etc/hosts.allow, I allowed my local
machines an "ALL:ALL", but that didn't help. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

E-mail: gilbert@xxxxxxx                                               ***