Re: MP3s and Linux [ogg format]

El lun, 05-04-2004 a las 23:32, Daniel Stonier escribió:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:28:16 -0400, Kc2LTO - Andrew Ragone
> <spdemon6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't the sound quality be much worse after coverting mp3 to ogg?
> >

> I've converted the few mp3's I originally had...there might be some
> degradation,
> but none that I can notice by ear. It could be that the script identifies
> all the information in an mp3 file and just translates that just as you
> might
> translate a book. If it does this there'd be next to no degradation at all.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.
>
> > And of course, to those that already have lots of mp3's and would like
> > to convert them all to ogg, there's a script on this page that will do
> > it for you. I've tested it, and so far it works quite well.
> >
> > http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/mp3ogg/
> >
> > dex

Dear Daniel,

The best thing I can do is quoting one of the FAQs in
http://www.vorbis.org:

"Can I convert my MP3 collection to the Ogg Vorbis format?

You can convert any audio format to Ogg Vorbis. However, converting from
one lossy format, like MP3, to another lossy format, like Vorbis, is
generally a bad idea. Both MP3 and Vorbis encoders achieve high
compression ratios by throwing away parts of the audio waveform that you
probably won't hear. However, the MP3 and Vorbis codecs are very
different, so they throw away different parts of the audio, although
there is certainly overlap. Converting a MP3 to Vorbis involves decoding
the MP3 file back to an uncompressed format, like WAV, and recompressing
it using the Ogg Vorbis encoder. The encoded MP3 will be missing the
parts of the original audio that the MP3 encoder chose to discard. The
Ogg Vorbis encoder will then discard other audio components when it
compresses the data. At best, the result will be an Ogg file that sounds
the same as your original MP3, but it is most likely that the resulting
file will sound worse than your original MP3. In no case will you get a
file that sounds better than the original MP3."

If you must convert your MP3 collection to Ogg Vorbis format, you can
find several scripts to do so in the Freshmeat site.

Regards,
--
Andrés González Cantú
agc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx