Re: A issue of MySQL

Richard Welty wrote:
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:18:15 +0800 Christopher Chan <cchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Richard Welty wrote:

in the future, when making major database upgrades (be it MySQL or
PostgreSQL or whatever), please use the backup and restore utilities
supplied with the database rather than copying files willy-nilly. the
latter is sure to cause problems sooner or later (obviously in your case,
it was sooner.)

Heard of cdb? It is platform independent. One cdb file on Linux can be read by cdb programs on FreeBSD or what not.

that's nice. if all you need is a single key lookup, cdb is just fine.

we were talking about relation and near-relational databases here.

er...no we were talking about the sensibility of copy a binary file from one platform to another and using a compatible program to read it.

Mysql files are similar when using compatible versions of mysql server.

again, that's nice. i'd have to go back and look it up, but as i recall,
the original posting was about a bump from mysql 3.mumble to mysql
4.mumble. there are NO guarantees of internal file format compatibility
when making major version bumps with any RDBMS, commercial or
open source, that i have ever seen.

ah but there was. That's why we just upgraded our mysql server binaries instead of going through the dump and stuff route.