Re: A issue of MySQL

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:18:15 +0800 Christopher Chan <cchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Richard Welty wrote:
> > in the future, when making major database upgrades (be it MySQL or
> > PostgreSQL or whatever), please use the backup and restore utilities
> > supplied with the database rather than copying files willy-nilly. the
> > latter is sure to cause problems sooner or later (obviously in your case,
> > it was sooner.)

> Heard of cdb? It is platform independent. One cdb file on Linux can be
> read by cdb programs on FreeBSD or what not.

that's nice. if all you need is a single key lookup, cdb is just fine.

we were talking about relation and near-relational databases here.

> Mysql files are similar when using compatible versions of mysql server.

again, that's nice. i'd have to go back and look it up, but as i recall,
the original posting was about a bump from mysql 3.mumble to mysql
4.mumble. there are NO guarantees of internal file format compatibility
when making major version bumps with any RDBMS, commercial or
open source, that i have ever seen.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx