Re: A issue of MySQL

Richard Welty wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:27:41 +0800 Shi-Ming Chen <shiming.cv90g@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And then I put my_table_name.[frm, MYI, MYD] to a MySQL (ver.4) server in Windows, and it shows ALL rows! My disaster is over, but I am curious that why the MySQL in FC1 can't read all rows? (Original MySQL version in RH8 and FC1 is 3)

i'm glad you recovered your rows, BUT

in the future, when making major database upgrades (be it MySQL or
PostgreSQL or whatever), please use the backup and restore utilities
supplied with the database rather than copying files willy-nilly. the
latter is sure to cause problems sooner or later (obviously in your case,
it was sooner.)

Heard of cdb? It is platform independent. One cdb file on Linux can be read by cdb programs on FreeBSD or what not.

Mysql files are similar when using compatible versions of mysql server.

Eg: As the op has already demonstrated, linux -> windows.

i don't know about MySQL, but PostgreSQL treats their major version number bumps (e.g., 7.3 to 7.4) as points where the database internals are likely to change structure.