Re: spamassassin/user_prefs

Charles Howse wrote:

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 03:55 am, Nigel Wade wrote:

Charles Howse wrote:

jdow has pointed me to a page with custom rulesets:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets
but I'm still interested in comments or generic settings for my
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file.  Anyone care to share?

I'm not sure there really are any generic settings in user_prefs. The entire point of user_prefs is for user specific custom settings.

"Generic" may have been a bad choice of words.
I have 'score MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE 5' in my user_prefs, and as a Linux user, I consider that something that should be there.
It's that kind of thing I'm talking about.

That's very much personal preference, and exactly what user_prefs is for. Our mail server rejects those before they even get to SA or the virus scanner.

One thing I always do, however, with a new install of SA is to set any
tests which have negative scores to zero. The spammers are no longer
stupid, and they know SA is used in many servers so deliberately target SA.
If there's a way to reduce the SA score they will exploit it, so I remove
the negative scores before they get a chance. One specific case was when SA
assigned a negative score to a Subject: field with Re: in it. How many
spams now have Re: in the subject?

**Lots** of spams now have Re: in the subject.

You lost me when you talked about setting tests with negative scores to zero.
Can you talk a little more about that, please?

All the scores for each test SA runs are in /usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf.
There used to be quite a few of these which had negative scores, i.e. would make the mail appear less like spam. E.g Re: as I mentioned above, and various user agent headers such as Pine, Mozilla etc.

These now appear to have been removed from the scoring system, presumably because they were more harm than use. But I still check to see if any new scores are assigned as negative and then decide for myself if that's what I want them to be.

BTW, I noticed in the header of my original message that one of the charter.net clustered mail servers is blacklisted...

Do you think that there are so many spammers with a charter.net domain name that eventually all their mail servers may end up blacklisted...?

That's hard to say. It depends why they have been blacklisted.

What does "RedHat" in the header info refer to? Did the RedHat.com list server insert that line, or does it just refer to the operating system? Whose computer inserted that line?

I presume the list has a spam filter and the header was put in there by the filter.

-- Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK E-mail : nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555