Re: spamassassin/user_prefs

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 04:17 am, Nigel Wade wrote:
> Charles Howse wrote:

> >>The way to catch those is with Bayesian filtering. You need to teach the
> >>Bayesian filter with sufficient messages so that it learns what is spam
> >> and what is not (at least 1000 of each is a good rule of thumb for best
> >> accuracy).
> >
> > For the sake of the original subject, I was interested in the user_prefs
> > file.
> >

> > I'm periodically training it with sa -learn on the MissedSpam folder.
> > I'll 'get there' sooner or later.
> >
> > I have never seen a false positive in my FilteredSpam folder, so I see no
> > need to train it on what *is* spam.  Am I wrong?
>
> It's most important to train it with anything it misclassifies. But it's
> still a good idea to train it with both spam and ham which it has
> identified correctly. This way its database of spam and ham is kept
> current. If you don't keep training it it will get steadily worse and worse
> as the spam evolves.

This is good information.  I had not thought of that.  Thank you.  I already
have a script that will do that, just need to run it occasionally.

jdow has pointed me to a page with custom rulesets:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets
but I'm still interested in comments or generic settings for my
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file.  Anyone care to share?

- --
Charles Howse
Jackson, TN
Registered Linux user # 347576 (http://counter.li.org)