Re: Acroread Problem

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, fred smith wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 03:50:10PM -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, John Thompson wrote:

> > > Firefox must be different,then.  I completely deleted nppdf.so from my
> > > system and it still opens pdf files in acroread instead of xpdf.
> >
> > Do you have mozplugger installed?
>
> The difference is: the nppdf.so file is a PLUGIN, which causes Acrobat
> to (appear to) open up in a browser window. Otherwise it would most
> likely open as a separate app (unless some other plugin such as mozplugger
> or plugger is managing the plugin for you).

In fact, mozplugger apps can be (are, in this case) swallowed by the
browser window.  A swallowed acroread looks pretty much just like the
plugin, but it does not require nppdf.so to run.  If you don't have
acroread at all, but you have mozplugger, then xpdf is swallowed by the
browser too, and looks very much like a plugin.

In fact, there's a GTK+ Mozilla/Firefox bug where using acroread plugin
causes CPU to jump to near 100%, but using mozplugger instead gives the
same appearance without the buggy behavior.

As another poster pointed out, you can change what app gets loaded (and
whether it's swallowed) in /etc/mozpluggerrc.  If you didn't have
mozplugger at all, helpers would always open in separate windows.  If you
don't have nppdf.so, you *can't* be running the Acrobat plugin, so if you
still see a swallowed acroread app, it must be another plugin loading it.
Mozplugger or plugger are the obvious candidates.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu