Re: Changing Run levels

Douglas Furlong wrote:

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 16:14, shane c branch wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:59:59 -0500, shane c branch <scbranch@xxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:
> >>
>> As I understand you, you wish to boot to runlevel 3 as default?
> > Well yes and no. I do need to boot to runlevel 3 one time to get the > VMware tools installed, but want to keep it at RL 5 the rest of the time.

I think all you need to do is open a terminal in the gui, then
#init 3

That should change the runlevel to 3, allow you to do your update then you can startx to get back to the gui again.
If you want to change the active run level, you want telinit <run level>

Doug

D'oh! Yes, I meant telinit.

-- regards,

shane