Re: How do you export an x-session in Fedora

Edward Croft wrote:

Okay, so you aren't the only one, Dima. It appears others have tried to
do what you are trying to do.

Are you saying that he is trying to connect from fedora to his old redhat 6.2 desktop? If so, I recognize this problem.

Unfortunately, I never solved it. Trying to connmect from X servers running on later Linuxes to a 6.2 machine gives this behavior. I think it has to do with Xfree86 3.x vs 4.x, but I'm not sure.

I still have a 6.2 server running at a client site. I'll see it I can glean any new info.

-Steve

OK. I can still reproduce the problem. An strace shows that this is where the problem occurs:

23605 connect(4, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6010), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

Note that the only way I can get to this machine is via ssh, so the display variable is set to localhost:10.0 .

I just got up and my mind is still to cloudy to remember how the ssh forwarding works or make sense of what the connect to localhost means in this context. Someone else wanna try while I try to resucutate my brain? ;-)

-Steve