Re: New Apache License?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:45:51 -0600 "Christofer C. Bell" <cbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:39:23 +0000, WipeOut wrote
> > First it was MySQL, then XFree86 and now possibly Apache, all of
> > which are major components of what makes Linux distro's useful to
> > many of us..

> The point you made about MySQL is caught my eye... Is it now under a new
> license that's incompatible with the GPL?  Can you elaborate some?   Thanks!

it's a little bit complicated.

the traditional MySQL licensing was GPL for the server, and LGPL for the
client libraries. there were commercial licenses available for people who
wanted support.

the LGPL exists so that people linking against libraries aren't forced to GPL
the code which links against the libraries.

with MySQL version 4.1 (i think 4.0 is still traditional), MySQL switched
the client libraries over to the GPL from the LGPL. this means that any code
linking against the client libraries must be GPLed if it is to be distributed, or
else you must buy a commercial license from MySQL. the interpretation of
"distributed" varies, MySQL AB's interpretation is very strict, they even
want you to GPL or buy commercial licenses if you are only distributing
within a business.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx