Re: VPN options

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 23:25, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> Keith,
>
> I looked at freeswan and IPsec as well as doing SSH tunnels, and the
> best software I found for a quick and simple yet secure VPN is OpenVPN.
>
> Its easy to set up, they have RPMs for everything you need (except for
> one thing which you can get off freshrpms) and it works REALLY well.
>
> I run a VPN between here and an office in Moscow and it was fairly
> trivial to get working. Just follow the documentation closely.
>
> The thing with FreeSwan and others is that they are very complicated
> and/or use bizzare protocols such as GRE which sometimes get filtered.
>
> OpenVPN just uses UDP for encapsulation, and TLS for the session
> negotiation and OpenSSL for the encryption, so its very
> straightforward. You can also set up a floating endpoint with no
> problems.
>
> Hope this helps,

Do you know if this will work with a standard corporate firewall?  The
MS Admins where I work block SSH but let Telnet!

Looking at the OpenVPN expample they have this simple setup:

On may:
	openvpn --remote june.kg --dev tun1 --ifconfig \
	10.4.0.1 10.4.0.2 --verb 9

On june:
	openvpn --remote may.kg --dev tun1 --ifconfig \
	10.4.0.2 10.4.0.1 --verb 9

The problem with this is that I want to have a VPN from my home network
to my corporate desktop.  The work desktop does not have an Internet
addressable IP/name.  My home PC has a dynamic IP although I use
dydns.org so I can always get to it.  So how would I enter the --remote
name/IP for my corporate desktop from home?

I guess I could use SSH on another port, though a VPN would have more
utility and let me mount samba shares from my home FC1 desktop to my
work FC1 desktop.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA