Re: post-installation problems

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> Subject: Re: post installation problems
> From: Brian Marsh <b.marsh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:56:33 +0000
>
> On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 14:40, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

> > The sequence of starting things is controlled by the listings in the
> > /etc/rcX.d directories. (X is your runlevel)
> >
> > If you look there you will likely find SXXpcmcia has a higher number
> > than SXXnetwork.
> > If you change that by renameing the files so the pcmcia starts first it
> > will solve this problem.
> > BTW, the XX in the names above indicates the sequence they start.  Lower
> > numbers start first.
> > Delaying the start of the network will easily fix this for you.
> >

> Thanks for the help, and yep, that all makes sense, except that I have
> directories rc0.d through to rc6.d and directories rc0.d, rc1.d and rc.6
> contain KXXetc and not SXXetc. Erm, guess this is my lack of knowledge
> of terminology, but what is my runlevel (and how do I determine it is
> necassary) and therefore which directories should I delay the network
> startup in? Or should I simply delay it in all?

The runlevels are basically "configurations" of the system, with a few
exceptions.  These are the runlevels that are available by default (this
is from /etc/inittab):

0 - halt the system
1 - Single-user mode (provides root only access for maintenance)
2 - multiuser mode with no NFS
3 - multiuser mode with no X Windows
4 - Not used, although you will find files in /etc/rc.d/rc4.d
5 - multiuser mode with X (this is the normal default runlevel
6 - reboot the system

You determine your default runlevel by examining the "initdefault" line
in /etc/inittab.

id:5:initdefault:

 Normally this is runlevel 5, but sometimes it is runlevel 3.  If you
run a server, you frequently use 3 to leave X turned off.  The
exceptions are, of course, 0 and 6, which aren't states you would "run"
in.

As you probably guessed, anything starting with a K in rcN.d is going to
kill the named process, and anything starting with an S is going to
start the associated process.  So it's appropriate that runlevel 0 kills
all processes, and runlevel 6 kills everything except the reboot
process.

The files in a directory like /etc/rc.d/rc5.d are actually symbolic
links to scripts in the directory /etc/rc.d/init.d.  Don't change the
files in the init.d directory or you can break the system.  If you only
change the links in rc5.d or its brethren, you might break a runlevel,
but you can still use the others and run the system to make repairs.

If you are using a vanilla Fedora installation as a workstation, you
probably are using runlevel 5.  So make the changes in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
and test it out.  You can make the changes to other runlevels, in case
you use them, but remember that 0 and 6 have their special uses.  You
don't want to start anything, for instance, in runlevel 0.

To do this a little more safely, you will likely want to change
initdefault to 3 FIRST.  Then reboot and issue the command

init 5

to go to runlevel 5. You have to be root to do this.  Once you verify
that it all works, change the initdefault back to 5.

> Don't fancy 'breaking' anything at this stage of experience...

I agree with you.  Read this over carefully to be sure you are
comfortable with this before you try it.  For more safety, make sure you
have a boot diskette or use the rescue mode on your CD's to be able to
boot for repairs.  This probably makes it sound a lot more risky than it
will be, but discretion _is_ the better part of valor.

Another less elegant way to do this is to add a line like

service network restart

to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is last to run.  This restarts the
network after everything else is done. But this will make your boots a
little longer each time.

Erik