Re: Linus Virus Scanner

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:10:18 -0600
Brian Connolly <linus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Thread hijacking, 'untrimmed' posts etc. _are_ indeed a serious
> > problem, and any help on educating people about them (in a polite
> > way, of course) is valid and will improve overall experience.
>
> With all due respect, to some the plight of the endangered Zambian
> Fire Ant is their life and passion.  From my perspective and all who
> populate the world around me, it's just plain silly.

Right. I can understand that, since you don't have to deal with Zambian
ants daily. Mailing lists emails, however, _pour_ on my mailbox daily,
and following some basic rules would make mine and some other people's
lives (not yours, I understood that) easier.

It's not, of course, that this is a life or death issue, and ultimately
I can bear with these small annoyances. And, no, I don't get angry at
them. However, I would be very thankful if people who accidentally don't
follow these basic guidelines (because they're simply not aware of such
guidelines) started making better use of email, therefore making my (and
many others) life people easier.

This of course doesn't apply to people who deliberately don't care about
netiquette. You might have your reasons to do so, and I respect that.
But please accept the fact that it does matter to other people, and I
guess you'll see that asking people to improve the way they handle
emails that will be read by thousands of others sounds very reasonable.

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa