Top posting issue

Regarding the top-posting controversy: see my response under the next
few paragraphs ...

On or about Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:20:30AM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Top posting is used in a lot of mailing lists, numerous organizations,
> and millions of individuals as routine. There just isn't the time to
> fuss over the perfect placement of each and every word in an email. In a
> large group of highly paid people, the preference is to accept the
> default settings of the email client picked by the IT department, and
> the default settings are for top posting. In the even larger group of
> not so well paid people, the default settings of the email client are
> accepted without question because that is The Way It Is.
>
> So top posting has an enormous installed client base. Top posting is
> very much in favor in the world.
>
> I myself do what most people do: accept the default mail settings and
> get my email out the door because I have other things to do with my life.
>
> Bob

 I generally sympathise with this. But the style I would advocate
 would be to put only a *brief* general summary of one's response
 at the top, then responses to individual paragraphs of the
 prior posting after each such paragraph. Having a summary or
 even a 1-line comment at the top really speeds going through
 a long mail list (this one has hundreds of postings a day!)
 This is especially the case for a complex response to a long
 posting, where there may be many paragraphs of responses
 interspersed with the quoted prior post.

 However, remember that many people may be responding to a
 posting - having the series of responses in a consistent order
 is very important, so that others may follow the sequence of
 on postings. (I myself have had problems with this at times,
 due to having to scroll down to find the mean of a particular
 posting in a series).

 And at least one of the web pages cited below suggests that one
 should preferably not quote ALL of the prior posting, but only
 the parts that are specifically being responded to (as well as
 whatever else is necessary to maintain the context). This is
 especially important in a busy list, since recipient's email
 folders will fill up very quickly (I just got a warning notice
 about this from my ISP, for example!). This also makes it
 easier for readers to find the response text.

 Also, when a response represents a change of subject (we're
 no longer talking about the original subject here, for example)
 one should change the subject line appropriately.

 8=)
 Peter