Re: Bind v. TinyDNS

Andy Green wrote:
On Monday 05 January 2004 01:10, Mark Mielke wrote:

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:33:07PM +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

No, but it's a place where one can educate the community about Free
Software alternatives over proprietary software, like DJB's.

You mean, attempt to influence others into avoiding software based on your principles...

I wasn't aware of qmail's license and I appreciate hearing about it.

Qmail's author is the one attaching strings to his software and so 'influencing' people, Rui is right to point this out so people can make an informed choice.

Seems to me there is no way to attach strings without seeming petty and irritating, this is why we don't see big projects like Samba doing stuff like 'everyone but SCO' even though they clearly loathe them. The only effect of the strings is to increase the number of people using alternatives, not to do good in the world.

Likewise seems to me Fedora is right to avoid things with strings: after all it is Fedora *Core* and there's nothing to stop external repositories layering anything they like on top.

-Andy

As long the Postfix is included in FC, i don't bother if someone even put Exchange into the distribution ;-)

--
 Bob Marcan                     mailto:bob.marcan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T