Re: Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:10:36PM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
> I was waiting for this to come up.  I for one see making updated
> packages for a given release as "support" but since the RH site
> discusses phone support as a a part of some offerings the term gets used
> with different meanings and contexts.  This causes a fair bit of
> confusion.  Perhaps as we embark on this exciting adventure of Fedora we
> should agree on what terms we are going to use for these two very
> different types of support.  I see this as updates vs help but that is
> not too clear either.
>
> Does anyone else see this as a definition of terms issue?

Red Hat uses two different terms here:

- support: ability to call/email our technical support staff with the
  expectation of receiving an answer or resolution to your problem (I'm
  trying to make the distinction from email this list, for example, and
  getting a response from a Red Hat employee)

- maintenance: package updates, be it for enhancement, bug fixes or
  security issues

With the Fedora Porject, we're going to have maintenance and no support.
With RHEL, there's maintenance and support.

- jkt
--
Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt@xxxxxxxxxx             Red Hat, Inc.

        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                                                   - Albert Einstein