Re: OpenGroupware? -- how is it "crippled" at the server???

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 19:18, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Maarten Stolte wrote:
>
> > depends on the definition ofcourse, but I don't like the fact that,
> > afaik, some functionality is only available under other licenses, like
> > connecting to big boys' db's.
>
> Huh? It uses PostgreSQL as its database. There are proprietary plugins if
> you need to use a commercial db instead, or you're free to write your own
> (though that's not an itch I'd expect to see scratched -- the PostgreSQL
> support is fine and presumably if you want an open groupware implementation
> you also want an open db behind it). There are proprietary plugins if you
> need MAPI Outlook support, just like there are proprietary plugins for Kolab
> if you need MAPI Outlook support. Other than that, I'm not aware of any
> functionality missing from the open product.

It's the mix of proprietary and open that I was referring to in my
remark about its openness. The plugins for MAPI are indeed for both
proprietary, so thats not really a difference. For kolab you can indeed
only use specific ftp and ldap servers, but they are totally open.

> Beyond that, I'd say OpenGroupware's far more open than Kolab in terms of
> not being tied to particular implementations of servers (OGo supports any
> IMAP, not just Cyrus like Kolab. OGo doesn't require any ftpd, unlike
> Kolab's ProFTPD requirement. OGo doesn't require any specific MTA, while
> Kolab is tied to Postfix. Some of those requirements with Kolab can be
> worked around, but some can't). It's also far more open in terms of being
> standards-compliant for addressing, calendaring, etc., rather than doing
> Kolab's ftp+IMAP folder combo that's highly non-standard and that almost no
> clients support.

Kolab doesn't do ftp+IMAP spefically, it can do specific things with ftp
if needed for Outlook compatibility, but most is stored in IMAP. The
formats that are used for storing it in IMAP are normal open calendar
and vcard formats, so maybe the good outcome of this discussion can be
that both are rather open?

Maarten