Re: OpenGroupware? -- how is it "crippled" at the server???

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Maarten Stolte wrote:

> depends on the definition ofcourse, but I don't like the fact that,
> afaik, some functionality is only available under other licenses, like
> connecting to big boys' db's.

Huh? It uses PostgreSQL as its database. There are proprietary plugins if
you need to use a commercial db instead, or you're free to write your own
(though that's not an itch I'd expect to see scratched -- the PostgreSQL
support is fine and presumably if you want an open groupware implementation
you also want an open db behind it). There are proprietary plugins if you
need MAPI Outlook support, just like there are proprietary plugins for Kolab
if you need MAPI Outlook support. Other than that, I'm not aware of any
functionality missing from the open product.

Beyond that, I'd say OpenGroupware's far more open than Kolab in terms of
not being tied to particular implementations of servers (OGo supports any
IMAP, not just Cyrus like Kolab. OGo doesn't require any ftpd, unlike
Kolab's ProFTPD requirement. OGo doesn't require any specific MTA, while
Kolab is tied to Postfix. Some of those requirements with Kolab can be
worked around, but some can't). It's also far more open in terms of being
standards-compliant for addressing, calendaring, etc., rather than doing
Kolab's ftp+IMAP folder combo that's highly non-standard and that almost no
clients support.

later,
chris