Re: raise window on-click

Jeff Mayrand wrote:
design policy in Metacity is to try and avoid configuration options and
just implement one choice that trys to suit a large number of people.

Guh? That sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard. "Hey bill, lets force the worst possible configuration on the largest number of people possible!"

How can anybody presume to know what's best for me? The ideal solution is always to let the user configure the software to their own liking. This is the entire reason that I use Linux in the first place! If I wanted some programmer somewhere to make unchangeable UI decisions for me, I'd install Windows XP.

I used to be an Fvwm guy, I had a wicked fvwmrc that fit me like a glove, but I stopped using it because I had a really hard time making it look good. It was a joy to use, everything from a UI standpoint was flawless... but it was just ugly, and I had an impossible time designing a pretty interface, so I gave up on it.

KDE 3.2, here I come...

Opinions are still very divided about whether the "make one choice for
everybody" policy is ideal,

It isn't. Ever.

but the people writing the code and on the
usability team and the release team seem to think it's not too harmful,
so that's the way things are moving.

Do you also kick yourself in the head 4 or 5 times a day, because it's not *too* harmful?

If you want to be able to customise things further, install a different
window manager.

GLADLY! *sigh*

Sorry for my rant, please don't be offended, I'm just upset that your goals seem to be restricting choice as much as possible. That's just absurd.