Re: can't update mozilla with up2date

Ken Chamberlain wrote:

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 09:35, M.Hockins wrote:

From: "M.Hockings" <veeshooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: can't update mozilla with up2date
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:35:13 -0500

Ken Chamberlain wrote:

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:32, Ben Stringer wrote:

Galeon is a light-weight Gnome browser based on mozilla's rendering
engine. You would be safe to remove it. Galeon was replaced by

Epiphany

in Fedora Core 1.

See the FC1 release notes for details -

/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-1

Cheers, Ben

OK, thanks all. I'll se what the release notes have to say on this

and

give removing Galeon a whirl as I don't use it.
I guess I have it installed because my FC1 install is really an

upgrade

install from RH9 which I presume had Galeon.  Can I expect to see more
hitches like this due to the upgrade rather than clean install?

Kind regards,

Mike

Yes... "up2date --show-orphans" should show you any upgrade leftovers
(as well as non-FC1 extras).

Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto

Thanks all,

The rpm -e for galeon then allowed up2date to pull down all the updates just fine.

I then ran the show-orphans and it lists a whole bunch of packages. Other than a couple of things that I've installed later (wine and j2kre 1.4) are all these things just taking up disk space? If I remove them as well (rpm -e) will it cause me any problems? That is, my FC1 install
is an upgrade from RH9, so I am presuming that these "extra" things are left-overs from RH9 that are no longer required for FC1 and could be removed. The list of packages follows for those interested...

[snip]
FC1 ISO image 1 contains the RELEASE-NOTES file which tells us what has
been removed from FC1 since RHL 9, so if you (or I) had done a clean
install we wouldn't need/have these packages.  With that reasoning I
assumed it was safe to remove ("rpm -e" or "yum remove", your pick) if
FC1 release notes said it hat been removed.  I also had a long list of
orphans, not all of which I knew where they come from.  What I did was I
mounted the FC1 ISO1 (rpms not SRPMS!) and cd'd to the dir with the
release notes, then ran something like:

for pkg in `up2date --show-orphans | cut -d'-' -f1`
do
grep $pkg RELEASE-NOTES
done

If the grepped lines say the rpm was removed/replaced, I removed it. Note that the cut above is not perfect. It cuts soup-devel-... as
"soup" and the RELEASE-NOTES say soup has been replaced by libsoup. No
mention of "soup-devel".

You didn't mention your upgrade history.  I upgraded from RHL 8 through
RHL 9 and now to FC1.  Presumably I should have done a like procedure
after upgrading to RHL 9, (but I didn't) so I presume I have garbage
rpms left over from RHL 8.  You may be able to find older RELEASE-NOTES
on redhat's web site...

Thanks Ken,

I'll have a look a this tonight if I get a moment. However, my eldest son gave me a new game (ut2003) for my birthday and I must admit that playing that is more interesting than making sure the machine is clean ;-)

BTW, just for interest, I have the game running under Linux as it won't install on Windows (Win98, same machine, dual boot).

Mike