Re: can't update mozilla with up2date

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 09:35, M.Hockins wrote:
> From: "M.Hockings" <veeshooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: can't update mozilla with up2date
> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:35:13 -0500
>
> Ken Chamberlain wrote:

> > Epiphany

> > /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-1

> >>OK, thanks all.  I'll se what the release notes have to say on this
> and
> >>give removing Galeon a whirl as I don't use it.
> >>I guess I have it installed because my FC1 install is really an
> upgrade
> >>install from RH9 which I presume had Galeon.  Can I expect to see more
> >>hitches like this due to the upgrade rather than clean install?
> >>
> >>Kind regards,
> >>
> >>Mike
> >

> > Yes... "up2date --show-orphans" should show you any upgrade leftovers
> > (as well as non-FC1 extras).
> >
> > Ken Chamberlain
> > University of Toronto
> >
> Thanks all,
>
> The rpm -e for galeon then allowed up2date to pull down all the updates
> just fine.
>
> I then ran the show-orphans and it lists a whole bunch of packages.
> Other than a couple of things that I've installed later (wine and j2kre
> 1.4) are all these things just taking up disk space?  If I remove them
> as well (rpm -e) will it cause me any problems?  That is, my FC1 install
> is an upgrade from RH9, so I am presuming that these "extra" things are
> left-overs from RH9 that are no longer required for FC1 and could be
> removed.  The list of packages follows for those interested...

[snip]
FC1 ISO image 1 contains the RELEASE-NOTES file which tells us what has
been removed from FC1 since RHL 9, so if you (or I) had done a clean
install we wouldn't need/have these packages.  With that reasoning I
assumed it was safe to remove ("rpm -e" or "yum remove", your pick) if
FC1 release notes said it hat been removed.  I also had a long list of
orphans, not all of which I knew where they come from.  What I did was I
mounted the FC1 ISO1 (rpms not SRPMS!) and cd'd to the dir with the
release notes, then ran something like:

for pkg in `up2date --show-orphans | cut -d'-' -f1`
do
grep $pkg RELEASE-NOTES
done

If the grepped lines say the rpm was removed/replaced, I removed it.
Note that the cut above is not perfect.  It cuts soup-devel-... as
"soup" and the RELEASE-NOTES say soup has been replaced by libsoup.  No
mention of "soup-devel".

You didn't mention your upgrade history.  I upgraded from RHL 8 through
RHL 9 and now to FC1.  Presumably I should have done a like procedure
after upgrading to RHL 9, (but I didn't) so I presume I have garbage
rpms left over from RHL 8.  You may be able to find older RELEASE-NOTES
on redhat's web site...

--
Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto