Re: Fedora update from RHL9, jsut how much is NOT updated?

On Thursday 25 December 2003 03:34, Robert Vangel wrote:

> I have never done an upgrade on any OS myself, I really do much prefer
> clean installs, as it means that there will not be any stale data that
> was there previously.
>
> I have heard of many people complaining that things get broke when they
> upgrade, because of incompatibilities between new and original software,
> plus settings don't keep properly.

If you've never tried an upgrade
I don't think you are in a very good position to judge.
I recommend upgrading in general,
simply because if it doesn't work you can then do a clean install,
while the reverse is impossible.

I've done both with all RddHat distributions from RH-5 to Fedora,
and had roughly the same number of problems with each.
One possible disadvantage with complete installs (which I've encountered)
is if the kernel that comes with the distribution does not work.
With an upgrade one can just use an earlier working kermel.
[The kernels with both RH-9 and Fedora-1
did not work on my SCSI-only machine.]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366