Re: how to execute a program/script automatically after a successful login

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:40:27PM +0100, Grosswiler Roger wrote:
> mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/home/$User/.credentials //server/share
> /$USER/mntdir
>
> AND LET IT EXECUTE LINUX AUTOMATICALLY AFTER A SUCCESSFUL LOGIN!
>
> so, i would get a kind of login-script as you have it in windows. does
> anybody know:
>
> a) how to execute automatically this script after the successful login?
>
> b) whether this shell-script would work?

First, place your command or script call into ~/.bash_profile.  This will take care of your (a) above.

Secondly, I'm not familiar with the above syntax, but to clean it up, you could do:

mount -t smbfs -o credentials=~/.credentials //server/share /$USER/mntdir

Here's an off-topic question though.  If your clients are running Linux, why not use NFS instead of Samba?

Phil