how to execute a program/script automatically after a successful login

hi guys,

i struggle with samba with my linux-clients, as there is (for me) no real
solution to mount my shares automatically:

fstab needs fixed entries per share, even with credentials, you need one
entry per user. makes for me 5 mountpoints on one client.

so, i think, it would be a possibiliy to use a credentials-file within the
users-dir. and then executing a shell-script after the login having
someting like:

mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/home/$User/.credentials //server/share
/$USER/mntdir

AND LET IT EXECUTE LINUX AUTOMATICALLY AFTER A SUCCESSFUL LOGIN!

so, i would get a kind of login-script as you have it in windows. does
anybody know:

a) how to execute automatically this script after the successful login?

b) whether this shell-script would work?

THANKS for any reply

Cheers,
Roger