RE: raid controller recommendation

First of all, my experience with IDE RAID, is, for the most part,
theoretical; I've done a lot of reading, but only have a single low-end RAID
card for myself. For a RAID-on-a-card solution, I believe that SCSI RAID
controllers are still superior (but for a given price point the performance
is probably close). If I were implementing an IDE RAID solution, I'd use one
of the external RAID solutions available from companies like Electronix
(www.raidweb.com), which uses IDE disks, but interfaces to the server via a
SCSI-3 or fiber bus.

> What factor does rotation speed play?  That is, how will an array
> of 16 7,500 RPM drives compare with an array of 8 15,000 RPM
> drives?

For raw transfer rate, the difference shouldn't be too significant; 7200 RPM
EIDE disks can already transfer at >40MB/sec; multiply that by 16 and you've
maxed out any bus technology currently extant. However, for seek time, the
difference can be significant.

> I assume the SCSI solution will be more expensive but how much?
> Will the performance make it worth the extra expense?  There is a
> time to be cheap and a time to spend money, Proverbs 3:6 (more or
> less).

Figure at least double the cost of an equivalent IDE system, that's assuming
highest end IDE (WD raptors) vs. equivalent (10K) SCSI.

> The specific function for my array will be in a terminal server
> where many workstations are using the same drive array.  The
> cost of the server is expected to be high but won't come close
> to the savings on workstation hardware.  I can afford to be
> (cannot afford NOT to be) a bit extravagant on the server - fast
> CPUs, lots of RAM, big, fast RAID array...

If you're planning on going with RAID 5, I'd go with SCSI, since the RAID
technology is more mature there, and you'll have a wider choice of cards,
many of which will outperform the 3ware cards. If you can do RAID 10, then a
3ware 8506-12 with 12 WD raptors would probably be a good solution, but you
might have to build the system yourself; I haven't seen a lot of
commercially available IDE servers out yet.

Actually, I just did a quick check of SCSI vs IDE 10K 36GB disk prices on
Pricewatch, and the prices are comparable. I guess that until 10k drives
become more of a commodity, there may not be any great savings.

HTH.

Steve