Re: how to execute a program/script automatically after a successful login

mmmmhhh... may be you can try columbus.

This script, with configuration file, is capable to 'know' in what net you
are. For example, you can stay in a LAN where the default gateway is
192.168.2.1 and mac address AA:BB:CC:DD. You can inform columbus saying :
"when network starts or link cable is plugged, search for mac address
AA:BB:CC:DD if you can find it with arp ( no necessary client ip assigned )
then you are in CLIENT1_LAN"

Then, you can use columbus in your own script to query in what lan you are,
and mount shares depending on the answer.

http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/columbus/

Columbus exists as rpm in one source repository, but I don't remeber what :
(

HTH in anyway

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

GNU!

|         |           "Grosswiler Roger" |
|         |           <roger@xxxxxxxx>   |
|         |           Enviado por:       |
|         |           fedora-list-admin@r|
|         |           edhat.com          |
|         |           12/12/2003 12:40   |
|         |           Por favor, responda|
|         |           a fedora-list      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |     Para:     fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx                                                                                        |
  |     cc:                                                                                                                     |
  |     Asunto:   how to execute a program/script automatically after a successful      login                                   |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

hi guys,

i struggle with samba with my linux-clients, as there is (for me) no real
solution to mount my shares automatically:

fstab needs fixed entries per share, even with credentials, you need one
entry per user. makes for me 5 mountpoints on one client.

so, i think, it would be a possibiliy to use a credentials-file within the
users-dir. and then executing a shell-script after the login having
someting like:

mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/home/$User/.credentials //server/share
/$USER/mntdir

AND LET IT EXECUTE LINUX AUTOMATICALLY AFTER A SUCCESSFUL LOGIN!

so, i would get a kind of login-script as you have it in windows. does
anybody know:

a) how to execute automatically this script after the successful login?

b) whether this shell-script would work?

THANKS for any reply

Cheers,
Roger