Re: grub hangs on a pure SCSI system when adding a new hdd

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:58, Felix Miata wrote:

> > AFAIK, Grub will order according to the SCSI-BIOS setting for
> > high-to-low or low-to-high ordering sequence. If you specify a boot
> > device that isn't based upon that order, such as a boot device that has
> > ID3 on a chain that contains disks on any ID above and below ID3, then
> > you'll get the unusable misordered result you observed.

> Ok, thanks a lot for your info. Actually it was a hardware problem, not
> a grub issue. Autoid was making a little mess. ;)

> I could solve it now, system boots and disk is usable. Still one
> question: is there a more intelligent way to manage all this? I decided
> to go for a pure scsi system to add as many disks as i need (more or
> less) but if whenever i add a hdd i must reconfigure all scsi id's to
> preserve the device map it gets really tricky.

All you need do is put the boot device on SCSI ID0 if your HBA is set
low to high. Then it won't matter about any of the others, other than
possibly making you need to change some fstab entries.

Another possible solution is multiple SCSI chains. Only put the boot
device and maybe others you need automounted on one set as boot, and the
others on the other.
--
"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
                                                John 8:32 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html