Re: printing to a network printer - follow up

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 03:51, Don wrote:

> I tried reconfiguring the printer: Network Jet Direct and printing a
> test page. A single page actually printed, but with just a single line
> across the top of the page.

Did you fiddle with the driver options, such as including a pagefeed or
giving a <CR> at the end of lines?

> cups is running, cups-lpd is running, I tried the hpijs driver, I also
> tried the recommended driver hpi5gray (I'm at home now, I'm not sure of
> the exact name)

Investigate the options for your driver.  No need to driver hop.

Also, looking at this thread, I can tell you will need to do two things
to get good network connectivity with the rest of your LAN:

1. `man smb.conf` and edit /etc/samba/smb.conf appropriately; the most
interesting bits are setting your workgroup name and specifying the
smbpasswd file (you'll have to create it as well, man smbpasswd)

and

2. make sure the 'smb' service is running.

You'll be sharing that printer in no time!

> I'm running out of things to try... :-( And as I was expecting this
> "project" to only take a couple of hours, I don't know how much more
> time I can spend on it

On second thought, it DID take me a few hours to do the above, the first
time I did it.

>  until I'll have to concede and run a Windows
> application instead.... :-(

Is that a threat?  Windows isn't bad these days...

> Don

Greg
--
Merc