Re: printing to a network printer - follow up

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 01:11, Merc wrote:

> Also, looking at this thread, I can tell you will need to do two things
> to get good network connectivity with the rest of your LAN:
>
> 1. `man smb.conf` and edit /etc/samba/smb.conf appropriately; the most
> interesting bits are setting your workgroup name and specifying the
> smbpasswd file (you'll have to create it as well, man smbpasswd)
> 2. make sure the 'smb' service is running.
>
> You'll be sharing that printer in no time!

The printer is a shared printer now, so I was looking at two ways to
print:
1 - direct tcp/ip via the JetDirect card
2 - using the existing Windows share

It seems option 1 is the simplest, and at home I got it set up like that
in a matter of minutes... it was literally, redhat-config-printer, use
all the default/recommended settings, print a test page.. voila! Done.

That's why I thought I could do it at work... spend a couple of hours to
do a clean install, set up the printer and I'm done.

> >  until I'll have to concede and run a Windows
> > application instead.... :-(
>
> Is that a threat?  Windows isn't bad these days...

No, not a threat as much as an expression of disappointment. This would
have been the first Linux box in the office....

Maybe it would help if I explained it's purpose:

My intention is to run a "printer emulator" which connects to a
mainframe VTAM printer LU. This emulator then prints to the physical
printer.

It's convoluted since the mainframe can actually print directly to
tcp/ip printers, BUT the mainframe is not in our domain, and the
firewall people refuse to permit "originating" traffic from it. So...
what do we do? WE initiate a connection from INSIDE and keep a
persistent connection open ... and now there's an opening in the
firewall.... it seems worse than (maybe the same as)  permitting traffic
from the mainframe host, but I'm not the "security guy".

So, as far as the "Linux printer" goes, there's no need to "share it".
The Linux box would basically be just another client that uses the
existing printer.