NVidia Binary problems, support, and FAQ info

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 14:36, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     How're ya set up for AGP modes?  Have you studied which agpgart
> you're using?  That's probably the most likely reason for it to mess up.

My old box here only supports AGP at 1x... so I haven't tried the
"Options NvAGP 0" workaround suggested in the lockup thread on NVidia's
Linux Support Forum (linked from the NVidia Linux drivers page or
available directly at nvnews.net).

However, this box does have AGP PERR# and SERR# signal control through
BIOS.. which I had ENABLED... I have disabled it, which was the BIOS
default, and that may be contributing to the fix (so far).

There is a Fedora Core 1 thread with links to an RPM'ed driver for the
2129 NPTL kernel that I am now using, and another thread talks about a
variety of lockups for many Linux distros using the 2.4.22 kernel or
later. Seems to be a widespread problem for NVidia people who want
speedy GL or dual-head (or both in my case). Lots of workarounds to try
mentioned there.

>     Like I said, it seems like something you've surely already checked,
> but I'd hate to see you unhappy with something that's been so VERY
> rock-solid for me.

Under RH9, the NVidia with binary driver was rock solid and faster than
lightning on roller skates on a greased street going downhill with a
tailwind.

With all the changes I have made, it seems Fedora Core 1 may be getting
there too... 37 hours no lockup as I write this... with heavy loading
like dual SETI@Home processes, EPSXE PS1 emulation playing my beloved
WipeOut, FreeWRL VRML with large models and more.

Other than the NVidia binary legal and lockup issues, Fedora Core 1 has
rocked! I was a bit worried about the upgrade process, but have been
more than pleased with the result.

As a suggestion for the Fedora FAQ, a pointer to the NVidia Linux
Support Forum on their drivers for Linux page should be more than
enough... "Dear NVidia users, the Fedora Community can not support the
NVidia binarty driver due to its closed source nature. Support for the
NVidia binary driver is available from the NVidia Linux Drivers page
under the "NVidia Linux Support Forum" link. Thanks!"

This way he FAQ can be reserved for support info relating to the nv
driver itself if need be... or a pointer to the equivalent XFree86 forum
for that as well.
--
Exile In Paradise