RE: avoid nvidia?

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, u235sentinel wrote:

> I'm looking at Fedora and may switch over to it sometime soon.  In the
> meantime I'm runnint RedHat 9 with Nvidia Geforce 4 cards just fine.
> I've asked this same question and have been told that Fedora should work
> just fine with a GeForce 4 and the Nvidia driver.  I'm hoping someday to
> test it out myself.
>
> Being new to the list (signed up today) I'm curious what problems people
> have run into.

If your hardware currently supports nVidia cards go for it.

There are two separate things going on.

First is nVidia cards with the "nv" driver:
   These  install just fine, basic Fedora...
   No special stuff -- it works.

Second is nVidia cards with the "nvidia" accelerated driver. The
instructions for the accelerated drivers are a bit more involved.

I started with a previous post by Peter ....

1. Go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4496.html
	Some will search for a newer version -- but
	the .run tool will check back with nvidia.com
	so no worries...

2. Download NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run into a safe place.
	You will need it again when a kernel update arrives.

3. Some folks with a working 'nv' driver may wish to save their Xsetup
	cp /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config-nv-ok

Now to install the driver.

4. Boot system in text mode (edit /etc/inittab and set run level to
	three and reboot.  The line in /etc/inittab should look like:
	id:3:initdefault:

5. Login as root. If your default shell is not bash type:
	bash
6. next type:
	export CC=gcc32
7. next type:
	sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
   Pay attention to the messages.  Some folks will need to install
   kernel-source.  When the nvidia driver package was built Fedora
   did not exist so the wrapper needs to be recompiled.  The 'gcc32'
   stuff is because the Fedora kernel was compiled with the 'gcc32'
   compilers.

8. Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file as described in the README
	After running the .run file you will see:
		/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README

9. Boot the system in Gui mode (edit /etc/inittab and set run level to 5)
	Look for this line in /etc/inittab
	id:5:initdefault:

10.  Test,
     There are some interactions with Mesa stuff -- news at 11.
     If you find any bugs
	nv driver bugs the fedora/redhat way
	nvidia driver bugs to nvidia.

So why bother with the nvidia driver?  It is faster than the 'nv'
driver by a lot for most X and graphics functions.  A LOT!

Regards,
TomM