RE: avoid nvidia?

At 03:53 AM 12/4/2003, you wrote:

First is nVidia cards with the "nv" driver:
   These  install just fine, basic Fedora...
   No special stuff -- it works.

Just to add my experience to the collective knowledge base, I'm only *mostly* working on my GeForce4-equipped laptop with stock Fedora (i.e., nothing special from nVidia):

--*-- RunLevel 3: no problems

--*-- RunLevel 5: comes up fine, but screen is usually garbled after coming up from power-save. Ctrl-Alt-F1, followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7, restores the screen.

--*-- No joy at all using an external CRT. Anything graphical on my external monitor gets garbled -- no matter what I do. Toggling the internal/external monitor key on my laptop typically garbles the laptop's own LCD panel as well.

Second is nVidia cards with the "nvidia" accelerated driver. The
instructions for the accelerated drivers are a bit more involved.

I'm looking forward to trying the drivers from nVidia -- hopefully these will resolve my troubles....

A-----