Re: [patch] scsi: fix crash in gdth_timeout()

* Boaz Harrosh <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Honestly, the driver is probably rarely run by people that lack the
> > hardware, I bet...
>
> It was all "flight by instruments only". I called for HW testers and
> none came forward. All these changes, apart from "successful downgrade
> to messy" where also needed in order to push important changes to
> scsi.
>
> But a little bird said that QEMU might simulate this HW. SO I guess it
> is QEMU time for me.

heh. Incidentally i was thinking about using KVM for automated testing.
Important pieces of hardware should get an in-KVM simulator/emulator,
that way developers who do not own that hardware can do functionality
testing too. So basically the highest-quality drivers would have an
"inverse driver" in KVM, which simulates the hardware. (that model is
evidently useful to the hardware maker even for new hardware: it can
then also be used to test the Linux compatibility and Linux performance
of future planned releases of the hardware, etc.)

	Ingo