Re: How to learn Linux Kernel Programming

On 8/21/07, Noud Aldenhoven <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm a simple Math/Computer Science student and would like to learn
> more about linux and it's kernel.
> To be more precise, I'd to learn how to program in the linux kernel
> and maybe become a developer,
> if everything goes fine.
> But where do I start? Almost all information I found on the Internet
> if from before 2005 and I think that
> means it's out-of-date. Are there up-to-date documentations that are
> use full to read and explain how
> the kernel is build. (for example, is /usr/src/linux/Documentation a
> use full dir?)

Besides the sources already mentioned, there are a couple of quite
good books. I know at least Robert Love's Linus Kernel Development, by
O'Reilly, Rubini et. al. Linux Device Drivers,  and Mel Gorman's about
Virtual Memory, whose exact name I can't recall.

You can also try to start following LKML's flow. Maybe you won't
understand much in the beginning, but your comprehension on the
discussions will improve in the future. (Maybe reading a subsystem
mailing list - less traffic - is a good idea, if you have some
specific interests)

--
Glauber de Oliveira Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."