Re: How to learn Linux Kernel Programming

On 21/08/07, Noud Aldenhoven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello Kernel Develop mailing list,

> I'm a simple Math/Computer Science student and would like to learn
> more about linux and it's kernel.
> To be more precise, I'd to learn how to program in the linux kernel
> and maybe become a developer,
> if everything goes fine.
> But where do I start?

Start by reading Documentation/HOWTO from a recent copy of the kernel source.

> Almost all information I found on the Internet
> if from before 2005

There's lots of good kernel related material to be found online. See
for example :

http://kernelnewbies.org/
http://janitor.kernelnewbies.org/
http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
http://lwn.net/Kernel/
http://kerneltrap.org/
http://kerneltraffic.org/

> and I think that
> means it's out-of-date.

That's not always true.

> Are there up-to-date documentations that are
> use full to read and explain how
> the kernel is build. (for example, is /usr/src/linux/Documentation a
> use full dir?)

Yes it is useful.  Not everything in there is 100% up-to-date, but
there is still a *LOT* of useful documentation to be found there.

> An other question I'd like to ask is how and where did you start? I'd
> like to know how you manage to became
> linux kernel developers.

Most people start out fixing small bugs, cleanups etc or by
implementing some small feature or driver that they need. There's no
fixed way.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html