How to learn Linux Kernel Programming

Hello Kernel Develop mailing list,

I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list, but I couldn't find an
up-to-date topic with the same
context as this one. Furthermore I don't think this will cost very
much band width comparing it
with the amount of emails flowing though this mailing list. If I'm
wrong I'm sorry.

I'm a simple Math/Computer Science student and would like to learn
more about linux and it's kernel.
To be more precise, I'd to learn how to program in the linux kernel
and maybe become a developer,
if everything goes fine.
But where do I start? Almost all information I found on the Internet
if from before 2005 and I think that
means it's out-of-date. Are there up-to-date documentations that are
use full to read and explain how
the kernel is build. (for example, is /usr/src/linux/Documentation a
use full dir?)
An other question I'd like to ask is how and where did you start? I'd
like to know how you manage to became
linux kernel developers.

I do program in c and run Gentoo Linux, so I know quite some things
about Linux and I'm not a complete n00b.
At least, I don't think I am. '^^

Thank you,

Noud Aldenhoven

--